Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Friday, August 26, 2011

Book Club Book Review: Holding the Man by Timothy Conigrave

The August read for my Book Club was Holding the Man by Timothy Conigrave


This book is a true story written by an Australian author, set in the 1970s in Melbourne. 

A boy who realises at a young age he's gay, falls for the captain of the football team at his all boys catholic school, and they both end up in a life long relationship with each other.

To be in the mind of someone who is gay, to grow up with them, how their friends and family react to them, I found so interesting because it's not something that is often talked about, nor something I would ever understand (being a straight female!). 

The book takes a sad turn when both characters develop HIV and they then battle with the severe sickness that comes with this devastating disease.

I would recommend this book to anyone with an open mind and heart, this book is confronting it has a lot of sex scenes and is not for the faint hearted. So if your brave enough then go on, live a little, and read something totally different.

I give it 4 out of 5 stars

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read

 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png 

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[Image and book from Dymocks]


Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading and I love a book recommendation. I will be keeping my eye out for a copy of this one.
    Thanks for the tip!
    Hope you have a lovely weekend :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!