Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Christmas Recipes

Well I'm glad I trialled my Christmas Day dish of Chilled Pea Soup With Mint Gelato because it didn't turn out exactly as I wanted. Don't get me wrong it was tasty, but I didn't think the sweet gelato on top was really the best start to a Christmas Day dinner it was more of a pallette cleanser than an appetiser. Don't worry it didn't go to waste I served it on Christmas Eve at my parents house after the entree as a palette cleanser. The entree I made was the Indian Inspired Prawn and Mango Pappadums that I shared the recipe for previously. Seriously, they are a fantastic entree for a group because you can make them ahead of time and simply assemble them before serving.



As for the Christmas Day dish I had bought the shot glasses and tray and was still keen to do a chilled soup so I frantically flipped through my recipe books and choose from Pete Evans My Party recipe book his favourite recipe - Chilled Pea Soup with Spanner Crab - my only addition was a crouton for added crunch

Chilled Pea Soup with Spanner Crab
(Pete Evans Recipe Book)
Serves 20

30g butter
6 spring onions white part only, thinly sliced
310g fresh or frozen green peas (I used frozen)
625ml chicken stock
80g creme fraiche
3 tsp each of finely chopped tarragon, flat leaf parsley and mint
200g picked spanner crab meat (I used 4 blue manner crabs)
Packet of croutons (I added these for crunch and put the crab on top)

1. Melt the butter over medium heat in a heavy based saucepan. Add the green onions and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Cook, stirring often, for 5-7 mins or until the onion is softened.
2. Stir in the peas, then the stock. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 15-20 mins or until the peas are soft. While the peas are cooking, mix the creme fraiche with the tarragon, parsley and mint in a small bowl and set aside.
3. When the peas are very soft, remove the saucepan from the heat and puree the contents in a blender. Press the puree through a course strainer into a large bowl.
4. Thoroughly whisk in the herbed creme fraiche. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper to taste. Chill before serving, preferably overnight.
5. When ready to serve make sure you have chilled the glasses in the freezer. Then pour in 30 ml of the pea soup and serve topped with a crouton and some picked crab meat.


Sharing with Remodelaholics Recipe Link Party, jump on over and check out some deliciousness!

[All images my own]
Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. Looks Delicious!! Thanks for linking up! Check out my giveaway....


    XO, Aimee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow these both look amazing. I am going to try those pappadums at some point. I love how you have plattered them up

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!