Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, March 4, 2013

Book Club: Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

The January Book Club read was Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte

I waited over 8 weeks for this book from the Library and then I got my first ever phone call from the Library telling me it was overdue and I had to return it! Now I understand why it took so long for me to get this book - it is a really long book to read and hard to get through.

It also meant I didn't have time to read it before the January Book Club meet up so I felt like the naughty kid in school not being able to contribute to the discussion and hearing snippets of spoilers. Nevermind, here is my better late than never review!


Jane Eyre is a book based in the olden days in England when women were seen but not heard. This was the story of a young orphan child Jane who grew up in a horrible home, then onto boarding school, she leaves there to became a Governess in a nice home and falls in love. The story doesn't end there (although I wish it did) as a number of strange events bring Jane onto another journey where she becomes the one and only teacher of a small village school, then onto another home that she can finally call her own. It also ends with a twist that I didn't expect but it was a nice way to finish.
 
I found the book really hard to read, the sentences were too long and descriptive. First published in the 1800s it's no wonder it's a bit harder to follow than today's language. The first half of the book just dragged for me and I was waiting for this poor girls life to amount to something. Finally chapter 2 things started to happen and I was just aching for Jane to put on a colourful dress, or fall or in love, or just do something.

As much as I wanted to, I just didn't enjoy this book. I wanted more words and feeling from Jane and she just didn't give it.

I would recommend this book to tweens to see how the world was back in the olden days and how far we have all come. Also to the helpless romantics I'm sure you'll love this one. I give this book 2 stars.
 
Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch re-runs of Neighbours than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd pass up a pack of tim tams for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read
 
 
[Image via Good Reads]
 
Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. I had to read Jane Eyre for a Victorian British Lit class and HATED it. I was super disappointed in it because every woman/girl I talked to was all, "Oh my goodness! You're going to LOVE it! It's a great mystery and love story!" And I just didn't get it. I felt the way you did--Jane was blah, it dragged, and who on EARTH would fall for dreary Rochester?

    Last year, when I was teaching English to 12-13 year-olds, the English teachers from higher grades talked over and over again about how Jane Eyre was one of their favorite books. I decided I didn't want to be too out of the loop, so I reread it and LOVED it. Jane was suddenly intelligent and snarky. Rochester was suddenly everything Edward Cullen wished just his baby toe could be--dark, brooding, intelligent, and sexy. It was so much fun!

    Sometimes books just take another go-around to be enjoyable.

    So glad you made it through, though! It's a tough one.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!