Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kitchen Demolition Day 1 - Removing The Old Kitchen

Over the Anzac Day 4 day weekend Mr P and I got stuck into the Kitchen Demolition. We spread it over 3 days - this is Day 1 removing the old kitchen.

I'll share Days 2 and 3 in separate posts - I don't want you to miss any of the dusty before action! 

Day 2 we redid the support beams in the ceiling so the brick pantry could be knocked down and Day 3 we knocked out the brick pantry, floorboards and ceiling.

So here is Day 1 it took just a few hours to remove the old kitchen cupboards, bench top, wall unit, sink and plumbing.


Firstly we removed all the cupboard doors
Next was the sink - the plumbing had to be disconnected and then the sink removed
Disconnected the plumbing and pulled the pipe out through the wall and cemented up the hole
Pulled the old sink out which was a huge 2 metres with drainers either side ... today's sinks are much smaller probably because people now have the luxury of dishwashers and don't need all that room
I had a go at jimmying off the bench top and then disaster struck ...
The metal bar flung up through the air and landed on my foot

Unfortunately my cute ballet flats didn't offer much protection and I ended up with a big gash
on the top of my foot from the jimmy bar
Swapping the flats for sneakers and I was a bit more prepared this time ... ok back to work!

Removing the bench top - wearing the correct footwear this time!

Broke the frame apart which was made from jarrah (the Jarrah Jungle namesake)
and the backing was chipboard

Progress - all cupboards and bench tops removed
We cut all the bigger parts up so it's easy to dispose of
Note: I have no idea how to use power tools I'm just trying to look like I'm doing some work!
The glass cabinet came down and there was so much grease and grime on top of it
I thought my hand was going to get stuck! Yuck so gross!



Pulling off the last pieces of backing

The old kitchen all removed
For once I had to get my hands dirty and help out as I didn't have the excuse of busying myself in the kitchen making us a tasty dinner like I usually do!
You're probably wondering how I'll be cooking without a kitchen for the next few weeks?

We decided to keep the oven connected up until the last minute so we can still cook on it and the rest of the kitchen has been set up as a make shift kitchen in our new garage extension which I'll show you soon.

It's going to be an interesting few weeks with lots to organise on the kitchen renovation action plan.


Sharing with Link Parties:


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png
For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[All images my own]


Pin It Now!

10 comments:

  1. Ouch! Sorry to hear you hurt your foot. I have to remind myself to change my shoes when I'm doing work too.... So exciting about the kitchen!! I can't wait to see more! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We tore down our bathroom over the Anzac Day weekend too! So I can totally relate to what you're going through. Can't wait to see your new kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Phew, that looks like lots of work! I suppose at least the pulling it apart is the easy part because it doesn't matter if you break things as they come out if they are just being disposed of. Can't wait to see Day 2 and 3 and then see your kitchen start to come together, you must be so very excited!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting. A new kitchen is such a thrill, I can't wait to see yours come to life. I would love it if you would link up to my Inspire Me party that is ongoing.
    http://www.astrollthrulife.net/2013/04/162nd-inspire-me-tuesday.html
    Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm excited for you, but don't envy you a bit! We've done a couple of MAJOR kitchen remodels, and while the end result makes it all worthwhile, getting to the end is a bit painful.....lol!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is my first kitchen reno so the excitement is still there thankfully :)

      Delete
  6. lol Ya...ballet flats probably weren't the best choice for demo wear =) You guys got a lot done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the encouragement ladies wait until you see the rest of the dusty demo work :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. OMG how excited are you!?!? I am so excited to see the finished product! can't believe it's going to take 4 weeks!?!?!? hurry uuuup!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, we're starting this process next week! EEEEKKK! You guys are brave to tackle this, good luck!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!