Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Thursday, May 2, 2013

Our Makeshift Kitchen - You're Cooking Where? In The Garage!

With our kitchen being ripped out over the weekend I had to come up with a makeshift kitchen somewhere else in the house for the fridge, pantry, appliances, kitchenware and a cooking, preparation and washing up zone.

We decided our newly built garage extension was going to be the best place for the makeshift kitchen as it was newly built in September last year with brick walls, concrete floor, rendered and painted - so it's not a dodgy rusty shed out the back it's sealed and secure and not too shabby.

I insisted on us doing a bug spray along the perimeter for creepy crawleys just to be sure, gave it a good clean and it was ready.

Access to the Garage aka makeshift kitchen is via the Laundry which is where I've stored a lot of our kitchenware and we'll be doing the dishes from the Laundry sink so it's definitely in a good spot.

Come take a look at the creation of our makeshift kitchen ...

Pantry before - Time to pack it up and empty it out


Pantry After - empty and ready to be knocked out

The items I knew I wouldn't be able to cook with or need I have boxed up and stored away


Packing everything away and discovering things that were hidden in the cupboards and out of reach
like all the lids to my containers that seem to mysteriously disappear every time I put them away!

Progress - emptying out all the cupboards and finding a place for the kitchenware

The kitchenware we are still using I managed to store in the large cupboard we have in the Laundry

The rest went into the Granny Flat along with boxes of kitchenware I haven't unpacked
since I moved here 3.5 years ago because it wouldn't fit in my itty bitty kitchen!
Now for the kitchen set up in the garage ....

Friends gave us this pantry but it was too tall to sit in the garage so we had to disassemble it, cut it down and then put it back together again ... apparently it's at my height now thanks babe! ... Lexi seems to approve anyway!
The pantry I filled with food and kitchenware that we don't need to use but I was running out of places to store it!
Moved the old outdoor table from the patio into the garage to become the kitchen bench for the appliances and
put a rug underneath to make it more comfortable underfoot


The washing up zone is in the Laundry -
I have hung up on the blinds the Kitchen Renovation Action Plan so we can keep track of what we need to do
The drying rack sits a top of the washing machine which is as good as an excuse as any
to not use the washing machine for a few days!

A new wash bucket sits in the Laundry trough for dirty dishes
It's amazing how many times I now reuse my cups instead of getting out new ones every time I want a drink!

Mr P and I have been managing fine so far this week ...  just a few more weeks to go ... piece of cake

I find myself running between the garage for food and to prepare, into the empty kitchen to cook on the stove or oven, and washing up in the laundry. I've learnt to juggle and fill my arms with things I need until I forget one of the herbs and then it's back into the garage again! 

I don't want to resort to eating take away too much and plan to make use of my slow cooker and our Weber BBQ on the weekends.

If anyone has any tips on how to survive a kitchen renovation at meal time I'd love to hear them!


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter


[All images my own]

Pin It Now!

11 comments:

  1. You are certainly more organised than I was when we had our kitchen done! Looks like you've got yourself set up really well, unlike me - we had the fridge in the hallway, kettle in the bathroom - a mess!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Im a bit of an organising freak ... I get excited working out where to put everything :)

      Delete
  2. Look like your are doing a great job. I would try to cook a large meal in the slow cooker onthe weekend so you have one less meal to cook during the week. Hopefully the new kitchen doesn't take long!

    Visiting from #TUST

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a great idea to make bigger portions so I can have a night off! Thanks for the tip :)

      Delete
  3. I haven't had to go through a kitchen reno, but I am sure cooking from the shed will be all worth it in the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks to me like you have everything under control-I'm impressed!

    When we renovated our kitchen we used disposable plates, cups and cutlery so we wouldn't have as much washing up. I know it's not very 'green' but after 6 weeks of renovating I'm very glad I did it!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving a comment! Lovely to meet you.

    Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well done, can't wait to see the results. xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thermomix!!!!! I just purchased one and OMG ! If u love wholesome food, made from scratch, then this is the machine for you hehe. My mother is a distributor so give me a buzz if u wanna check one out ........pricey!!! But so worth it. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have seen the amazing things you and your Mum have been making with the Thermoix it is very tempting :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!