Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Recipe: Slow Cooked Artichokes Stuffed With Garlic Anchovy Crumbs

I've always been a bit intimidated by whole artichokes and have only ever eaten the jar variety on pizzas and antipasto platters. So when I saw them in season at the veggie store for only 50 cents and people were walking away with an arm full of them I figured I better see what the fuss is about and try them for myself.
 
 
Turning to my trusty Australian Women's Weekly Slow Cooking Recipe Book I slow cooked the artichokes and then stuffed them and put them in the oven until golden. I changed the recipe by adding more flavour to the stock they cooked in and stuffing them rather than serving the crumb on the side.

This is my altered version of the recipe .... the artichokes were delicately flavoured and the crumb added a delicious flavour and texture.

 
Slow Cooked Artichokes Stuffed With Garlic Anchovy Crumbs
Serves 6
 
Slow cooker
6 artichokes
8 cups water
2 cups chicken stock
2 tbs lemon juice
1 bay leaf
3 cloves garlic, bruised
 
Stuffing
Olive oil
1 and 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
3 cloves garlic, crushed
6 anchovy fillets, drained and finely chopped
1 tbs lemon rind, finely grated
1/2 cup Romano cheese, finely grated
1/3 cup parsley, finely chopped
Cracked Pepper
 
Method
 
1. Remove and discard tough outer leaves from artichokes. Trim stem so the bases sit flat. Remove and discard hairy choke from centre. Rinse under cold water.
 
2. Place artichokes upside down and tightly pack into a slow cooker (I used ramekins to hold in place). Pour in the water, chicken stock and lemon juice and add garlic and bay leaf. Cook, covered, on low for 8 hours.
 
3. Remove artichokes with a slotted spoon and allow to drain. Leave to cool so you can stuff them.
 
4. Make stuffing by heating olive oil in a frying pan and add garlic and anchovies stirring until anchovy softens. Add breadcrumbs and lemon rind and cook until crumbs are browned lightly and crisp. Remove from heat and add Romano cheese, parsley and season to taste with cracked pepper (I didn't add salt as the anchovies were salty enough!).
 
5. Using a teaspoon carefully stuff the artichokes between each layer of leaves and finish by piling stuffing on top. Grate some extra cheese on top.
 
6. Place the artichokes in the oven for about 10 minutes at 170 degrees until golden.
 
7. Drizzle with extra olive oil and serve.
  

These artichokes will make an impressive entree at our next dinner party and have set the theme for an Italian inspired menu!

Linking up with:
Wow us Wednesdays - Savvy Southern Style
Fluster's Creative Muster - Fuster Buster and Curly Crafty Mum


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png

For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook and Instagram


[All images my own]

Pin It Now!

4 comments:

  1. I have never done anything with a whole artichoke either, but this recipe looks so tasty and easy, too! My neighbors have a veggie farm behind us and always bring me produce I normally wouldn't buy (such as okra!) and so sometimes I force myself to be a little more adventurous like you were!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Be brave Carrie! Anything that can be left in the slow cooker to cook itself is a winner for me :)

      Delete
  2. That dish turned out so beautifully! I've never cooked with a whole artichoke either.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dont you love it when it looks exactly like the recipe book photo! Winning!!

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!