Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Monday, January 23, 2017

Book Review: The Bold Dry Garden By Johanna Silver

This is a book review of The Bold Dry Garden by Johanna Silver that was published by Timber Press on 5 October 2016.

Johanna Silver is a San Francisco based writer, editor and garden designer.


Ruth Bancroft (who is now 107 years old!) is a dry gardening pioneer and her love of plants led to the creation of one of the most acclaimed public gardens in America the Ruth Bancroft Garden in Walnut Creek, California which spans over 3 acres and is filled with drought tolerant and waterwise plants.

This book offers lessons from that garden and also gives a history on the garden and the woman who maintains it.



The book includes lots of advice and lessons learnt for growing and maintaining a dry garden with plants such as succulents, cacti and other drought tolerant and waterwise species.

This book will be most useful for gardeners in the Southwest of America although some Australian gardeners may be able to find similar species and be inspired by the stunning garden images.

I recommend this book to plant lovers interested in the history of a waterwise garden.

I give this book 3 stars out of  5

Jarrah Jungle's Star Rating:
1 Bad - I'd rather eat brussel sprouts topped with anchovies than read this again
2 Not Good - I'd rather watch paint dry than read this again
3 Ok - I'm sitting on the fence - its not great but not terrible either
4 Good - I'd give up a bottle of the worlds best champagne for this read
5 Great - I'd pass up a date with Johnny Depp for this read


The Bold Dry Garden can be purchased from the author here 


Sharing my book review on Good Reads here and Netgalley

Disclosure:  NetGalley partner with bloggers such as me to help promote authors and their books and I was given this ebook published by Timber Press to review. As always, all opinions are my own.


 photo F0F68C01A59FABD46732FC15E1D8816D_zpsc6047f2f.png


For exclusive extras and daily updates ... follow Jarrah Jungle on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter



[Images via Amazon

Pin It Now!

2 comments:

  1. I have some succulents I keep in a birdbath, it is my 'fairy garden'. I really like dry plants and our botanical gardens here has an area with dry plants. Her garden in CA sounds really beautiful! I love to view gardens when we have time and if the weather is nice (I am sure it is always nice in CA, tho!) when we travel. I am sure the colorful pages gave you some inspiration! :)

    Carrie
    curlycraftymom.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your fairy garden sounds gorgeous! I'm a fan of dry plants too easier to look after. Yes not too far from you to visit, but will take me 20+ hours of flying to get too! Maybe on my next trip to the USA :)

      Delete

Thanks so much for stopping by and leaving some comment love!
I will reply to your comment right here on the post so please put a tick in the NOTIFY ME box so you don't miss my reply! Cheers!!